REVIEW: ASICS GEL-KAYANO 29 Road Running Shoes
Written By: SportsShoes
The new ASICS GEL-KAYANO® 29 shoe creates a stable running experience and a more responsive feel underfoot. Featuring a low-profile external heel counter, this piece comfortably cradles your foot with advanced rearfoot support. The GEL-KAYANO 29 is designed for neutral runners and overpronators.
|Most suitable for:||For overpronators and neutral runners. Slow to moderate pace, easy runs and long distance training on all road surfaces.|
|Drop:||10mm (high drop - best for runners who are heel strikers)|
|Stack height:||Heel: 25mm / Forefoot: 15mm|
|Features:||A lightweight shoe with maximal cushioning (FF BLAST™ PLUS), comfort and stability.|
GEL-KAYANO 29 vs GEL-KAYANO 28
The GEL-KAYANO is such a successful and iconic shoe that much has remained the same. After all, if something works, there's no need to change it. However, ASICS have made a number of subtle improvements, all designed to make this popular road running model the best release yet.
What improvements have been made?
- Weighing 299g, it's lighter, sleeker and more energised than the ASICS GEL-KAYANO 28 (308g). It is THE lightest GEL-KAYANO ever.
- It brings premium protection and stability to your longer runs with improvements to cushioning and comfort.
- The GEL-KAYANO 29 features Engineered Stretch Knit Upper Material, compared to the Engineered Mesh of the GEL-KAYANO 28. This new upper offers breathable comfort and a premium, irritation-free fit.
- At least 50% of the shoe’s main upper material is made with recycled materials to reduce waste and carbon emissions
- Lightweight FF BLAST™ PLUS cushioning in the midsole creates even softer landings and a more energised rebound in each step, compared to the GEL-KAYANO 28 which features standard FF BLAST™ cushioning.
- The GEL-KAYANO 29 has a slightly bigger stack height (Heel: 25mm/Forefoot: 15mm), compared to that of its predecessor (Heel: 23mm/Forefoot: 13mm). However, the drop remains the same at 10mm.
- ASICS have added a LITETRUSS™ stability feature to the GEL-KAYANO 29, which is placed on the inside angle of the midsole. This is designed to help keep your foot from rolling too far inward during your stride.
- The outsole design is very similar, as both feature etched in flex grooves to provide flexibility for a more natural ride. However, in the GEL-KAYANO 29, ASICS Lite Rubber has been more strategically positioned in critical areas of the outsole (see images below). This exceptionally durable compound is 50% more durable than standard ASICS High Abrasion Rubber, which is used in the outsole of the GEL-KAYANO 28.
Are you feeling inspired to lace up your running shoes and hit the road? For more advice and inspiration then head over to our Running Hub. Need to get kitted up? Our Running Store has everything you need including Running Shoes, Clothes and Equipment.